I was thinking about a completely free homeschooling resource called Easy Peasy today. We have been using this for about 5-6 months now. However, not all subjects. At first, I was a little overwhelmed with understanding how to maneuver the site and find my way around, but with a little patience and some reading, I figured it out soon enough.
The site has everything K to 12. We mainly use it for art study, science and some history. We also use the McGuffey Readers daily.
My kids were in K and 1 when we started using this after Christmas. It seemed short and too the point, everything laid out, so not too much work involved. On the flip side, everything may be laid out, but do I agree with “everything”, do I think that “everything” is enough?
A few thoughts:
1. Math is WAY too easy, First Year Math is better suited for Pre-K to me, maybe Kinder. The older years may be more of a challenge, I haven’t looked, but I personally wouldn’t recommend EP for elementary Math.
2. EP has you do each subject daily. We tried it and it didn’t work for us, I felt to rushed to get it all in without really taking time to talk about things, just click on links and do them sort of thing. It never seemed in depth enough, so we now do either Science of History each day, not both. I feel like the material is being covered better and the kids are more relaxed.
3. EP has you start at Day 1 and follow it in order. We like to skip around though. We decide what we want to learn about and look to see what resources EP has for that subject, i.e. birds. You would find EP’s bird unit in Zoology. Then maybe we want to do the Human Body, so we hop over to Biology and study that. EP has it laid out pretty nicely to find what you want.
4. I like some of the games and videos we get to link to, I probably never would have found them myself, but the site tends to repeat itself a lot, and we just skip those days.
5. Lap books, lap books, lap books. When I first started homeschooling I thought lap books were fun and exciting and so did my kids, but after the 4th one they get a bit…. boring. So we find other activities to do instead and haven’t done a lap book in 4 months. I would rather my kids go outside and observe birds to see differences, etc than fill out a lap book when they are in K and 1. They get more out of it.
Wrapping it up: Easy Peasy is a good resource and I would recommend it to other families. Make sure you are doing what is best for your style of teaching and just because it says you should take a quiz one day, maybe skip it, maybe quizzes aren’t for your kiddo right now. Maybe doing their 10th lap book isn’t either.
Look around the site and get ideas to inspire to do other things. It’s free, why not try it out and see if it works for you.
Has anyone else used the site? What do you use it for?
*These are my own opinions.